Wiimote Project » Hardware Support » IR Pens » Low cost Professional Wii Light pen plus 4-in-1 multi-function
: [1] 2

: Low cost Professional Wii Light pen plus 4-in-1 multi-function  ( 32022 )
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
: 27
« : June 17, 2008, 02:59:34 PM »

I have been using this Light pen I made about 1 month ago and it works great. I started with a multi-function pen I bought here. http://www.kaligiftbag.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=1285&category_id=255

I then grabbed some tools and replaced the light(white led) on this pen with the IRLED I got from Radio Shack. I did not need any resisters, the momentary switches are already there and the existing batteries are perfect as well.

See pictures below.

I actually found the multi-function pen on ebay for $5. The Radio Shack IRLED was 1.99

It was real easy to do and looks real professional.

Jon
www.thetechguyusa.com

« : June 17, 2008, 04:09:44 PM thetechguy »
: 25
« #1 : June 17, 2008, 05:01:52 PM »

Thanks a lot for showing what I have been thinking off and looking for!!!
I have been searching http://www.dealextreme.com for a starting point for an IR pen and found one that resembles yours: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.849.
(Note the price difference with kaligiftbag and dealextreme!! and shipping is free)
Yet another (exactly the same?) and even better price: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7124
« : June 18, 2008, 03:09:28 PM apdewith »
« #2 : June 17, 2008, 06:22:03 PM »

That looks very similar to the one I ordered and you are right the price is real good, wonder what the shipping is though. The main issue I wanted to solve is to have it look professional. When I go into presentations I am no longer embarrassed to have to pull out my light pen made out of an old pen, a remote control scavenged LED, some wire and a AAA battery all held together with scotch tape. I can now open my silver case and pull out my professional looking light pen that also has a working laser. I not only get great comments on my presentations but also questions to where I purchased my white board system. I am about ready to start packaging it all and mass producing for big corporations.  ;D

Jon
http://www.thetechguyusa.com

: 25
« #3 : June 18, 2008, 03:12:05 PM »

I did not need any resisters, the momentary switches are already there and the existing batteries are perfect as well.

No resistor? Is there one already there? Which LED (Laser and/or white) did you replace?
« : June 18, 2008, 03:46:44 PM apdewith »
« #4 : June 18, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »

I replaced the white LED the laser is still intact. The new Radio Shack IRLED was a lot bigger than the existing white LED so I left the leads on the new IRLED long enough to have the IRLED mount just outside of the housing see pictures.

the three existing batteries are low voltage there for no need for any resister.

: 2
« #5 : June 25, 2008, 11:43:15 AM »

Did you have to modify the pen's case where the LED comes out? Looks like the LED is larger than the standard opening there or am I not looking at it right? I've tried making my own using a whiteboard marker but I agree this pen would look much more professional! :)
« #6 : June 25, 2008, 03:07:24 PM »

Ah just re-read your last post... it's mounted outside the housing got it!
« #7 : July 14, 2008, 01:07:44 PM »

I just opened a store for my pens if any one would like me to make one for you. you can order one here.

http://thetechguyusa.com/shop/
« : July 23, 2008, 02:24:16 PM thetechguy »
: 1
« #8 : July 19, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »

For $3.79 shipped, you can get this 4-in-1 pen from dealextreme.com and increase your profit margins. (This is probably where the other sites buy theirs from)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.849

The site has lots of cheap gadgety things, and bulk discounts when buying more than 2 of something.
Also good for this project might be sku.52 and 8833, which are 1-in-1 single-function LED keychains.

Edit: Woops. i didn't realize that this was already mentioned in the 2nd post here!
« : July 21, 2008, 09:53:04 PM cel »
: 7
« #9 : July 24, 2008, 05:01:32 PM »

So if it's a pressure sensitive pen on the back of it, isn't the pen clip getting in away along with those buttons?
« #10 : July 28, 2008, 04:05:44 PM »

Hello, i've just buy a light pen in your website and i would like to know how long it takes to deliver in France?
Thanks by advance
Ps : i'm really hurry because i would like to test it before i'll use it in my classroom...
Queen80
« #11 : August 06, 2008, 11:01:57 PM »

queen80 your completed pen has been shiped you should see it soon.
« #12 : August 09, 2008, 01:40:06 PM »

I am having a bit of trouble getting the top of the pen off without completely ruining it.  Do you have any suggestions on a better technique?  Thanks!
« #13 : August 11, 2008, 06:32:17 PM »

Funny you should ask that question. The first one I bought for myself as my first Prototype the cap came of with little effort by hand. When I started to get orders for making these I bought about 20 of them and I could not get one of the caps to come off. I was able to get them off if I used a pair of pliers and scratched the hell out of them . But no one would want a scratched up pen.  I was about to give up when I looked down in my soldering kit and saw a piece of shrink tubing for a bigger size wire that I never use, it happened to fit perfectly over the pen. Now I can use the pliers to carefully remove the cap without scratching the pen. You should be able to find shrink tubing at any electronic parts store just take the pen in with you to match up the right size or get a multi size pack.

Hope this helps

Jon Zackula

www.thetechguyusa.com

« #14 : February 23, 2010, 10:52:55 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I recently tried building this pen, and had nothing but trouble.  I used Deal extreme and got the pens for about $3.40, 3 weeks later...  I have been trying to use the Vishay TSAL6400 and here are my dilemma's;

1. Like stated above I ruined the first two pens trying to remove the cap. I tried using Gaffers tape around the top, rubber bands, and shop towels.  The rubber bands worked best but still scratched the cap, other than shrink tubing, has anyone found a remedy?

2. Connecting the IRLED, sighhh... ruined the first one by burning the board. The second one I connected and tested... laser works, the IR works but it turns on and then off immediately. So does anyone has a video tutorial, or tips on how they assembled the pen?

thanks/
: [1] 2

:  

Clicky Web Analytics