Wiimote Project » Wiimote Projects » Wiimote Interactive Whiteboard » Wiimote Java Whiteboard » FR: resize/move the calibration zone.
: [1]

: FR: resize/move the calibration zone.  ( 9218 )
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
: 5
« : September 11, 2010, 09:06:33 PM »

Howdy. nym here. tech coordinator for Mission Dolores School + hip hop instrumentalist/amateur midi controller designer.

i've built a wiiboard for MDS and installed your software. it's lovely, you've done a fine job.

one thing that no (Free) wiiboard app handles yet is multiple monitor setups OR selective screen region control. in all current incarnations, the whiteboard calibration screen covers the entire area of a computer's output - all of 1 screen and (presumably) all of the 2nd monitor if you have a dual monitor setup.

what i'd like is a flexible box that you can resize to control certain parts of (or all of) a selected screen. (kind of like some screencapture applications, where you simply resize the box and capture just that space underneath).

examples of use:
- dual monitor setups where 1 screen is different resolution than the other (1 screen, 1 projector)
- IRpen mouse control over only 1 area of an application (such as a "sketchpad" or a space in which to draw audio volume automation data)
- optimizing infrared camera area on very large monitors/projection screens.

how feasible is this feature?

for the purpose of physically drawing automation curves (such as the one below) directly onto an LCD screen, this function would be incredibly and legendarily groundbreaking.

of course, i would be glad to help with extensive testing and well composed BRs.

regards
nym

: 134
« #1 : September 12, 2010, 05:52:53 AM »

Hi nym,

one thing that no (Free) wiiboard app handles yet is multiple monitor setups OR selective screen region control. in all current incarnations, the whiteboard calibration screen covers the entire area of a computer's output - all of 1 screen and (presumably) all of the 2nd monitor if you have a dual monitor setup.

my app currently doesn't support using multiple screens at the same time. It'll only use the screen that is selected in the main window.

what i'd like is a flexible box that you can resize to control certain parts of (or all of) a selected screen. (kind of like some screencapture applications, where you simply resize the box and capture just that space underneath).

I understand what you mean, I'll consider including this in a future release.
I can't make any promises or give you a timeline though, since I'm working on this in my spare time.

examples of use:
- dual monitor setups where 1 screen is different resolution than the other (1 screen, 1 projector)

Do you mean selecting a region that spans across multiple screens?

for the purpose of physically drawing automation curves (such as the one below) directly onto an LCD screen, this function would be incredibly and legendarily groundbreaking.

What are these "automation curves"?

Greetings,
Uwe

Java WiimoteWhiteboard for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
« #2 : September 12, 2010, 10:46:48 AM »

hey, thanks for gettting back to me so soon.

that's an example of one use, yes - but keeping in mind that a user's screen resolution in these cases is likely larger than that of the IR camera, i was thinking something more like being able to select which monitor/projection etc to control via IR pen...and moreover, which section of said monitor/projection to control via IR pen.

automation curves: in digital audio workstation applications (like the affordable and excellent Reaper at http://reaper.fm) automation refers to the recorded movement of a parameter over time...for instance, in the image in my first post, the volume of the audio file is automated by that line that lies overtop of it. you can literally draw the audio to be louder or quieter over time. this applies to any parameter, from volume and pan to more out there stuff like filter cutoff (wah wah) and reverb level. automation is a very common feature in digital audio workstation (DAW) programs, but it's a pain to draw in with the mouse.

thank you for your consideration. really, the big thing that would get this feature moving is a resizable calibration screen/mouse control field...the rest would kind of fall into place on its own.

let me know if there's anything i can do for the cause
regards
nym
« #3 : September 13, 2010, 08:43:42 AM »

Hi nym,

that's an example of one use, yes - but keeping in mind that a user's screen resolution in these cases is likely larger than that of the IR camera, i was thinking something more like being able to select which monitor/projection etc to control via IR pen...and moreover, which section of said monitor/projection to control via IR pen.

letting the user select a region of a single screen to use will probably be much easier to implement than allowing a selection that spans across multiple screens. That's why I was asking.

Greetings,
Uwe

« #4 : September 13, 2010, 11:37:44 PM »

letting the user select a region of a single screen to use will probably be much easier to implement than allowing a selection that spans across multiple screens. That's why I was asking.

there are very few circumstances where i would picture needing to span an IR field over 2 screen surfaces. far more useful is "letting the user select a region of a single screen to use." the easier, the better.

Guru
: 929
Smoothboard Developer
« #5 : September 14, 2010, 02:58:51 AM »

It is indeed quite impractical to select a region across multiple screens or make the software work across multiple screen with a single Wiimote as there will be alignment issues.

If you would like to select the screen area on a specific screen, you can do in Smoothboard Settings->Whiteboard->Screen.

Regards,
Boon Jin

Smoothboard
Wii Whiteboard/Wiimote Whiteboard with annotation features and collaborate with multiple iPads and Android Tablets!

Smoothboard for Mac
Using a Mac? Now you can annotate on PowerPoint or Keynote slideshows!

BoonJin[/url
« #6 : September 15, 2010, 01:31:26 AM »

thank you for the suggestion. smoothboard looks like wonderful software. unfortunately, i worry that my rock n roll lifestyle may be incompatible with smoothboard's licensing policy.

with sincere respect to you, a working developer, i'd like to give a different example of what i see to be fair software licensing:

http://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php

REAPER audio workstation. 40 dollars for an everyman's license...but the part that's important to me is THIS:

Your license allows you to use REAPER on one computer at a time.
Multiple REAPER installs for use by the same person are fine (home/studio/laptop, Win32/x64/OSX).

no dongle.
i paid, and paid again when it was time to upgrade. excellent software.
i deeply appreciate being able to load REAPER on any computer, hassle free, be it at home, work, whatever. to me, this is very important.

best of luck with smoothboard.
nym
« #7 : October 08, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »

howdy -
with no urgency, has there been any consideration of this feature?
thank you for your time
sincerely
nym
« #8 : October 09, 2010, 03:40:13 AM »

Hi nym,

I put that feature on my TODO list and it may appear in the next version of my app (or the one after it). This probably won't happen very soon, but hopefully before the end of the year.

Greetings,
Uwe

: [1]

:  

Clicky Web Analytics