Wiimote Project » Wiimote Projects » Wiimote Interactive Whiteboard » Wiimote Whiteboard with paper and pen
: [1]

: Wiimote Whiteboard with paper and pen  ( 8824 )
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
: 4
« : October 24, 2008, 04:06:30 PM »

I would like to use the Wiimote Whiteboard idea together with paper and pen. So I have to turn/convert my normal pen into something like pen+IR-pen. My ideal solution would switch the IR-light on when I start writing on the paper, meaning it should have a pressure sensitive switch, rather than an extra button which you have to press. So far all IR-pens I could see on the web (but I didn't search a lot) were using an IR-pen with an extra button (which I think is unnecessarily uncomfortable).

So my first question is: Did anyone build or see an IR-pen as described above (with a pressure sensitive switch)?
Support Admin
: 1178
MSN Messenger - benpaddlejones@live.com.au
« #1 : October 25, 2008, 01:54:41 AM »

papaerandpen
Several, but none retailing (you can search the forum to find). Will be difficult to have both presure sensitive tip and a pen tip.

When you get used to the switch its fine.

benpaddlejones :)

See my full profile and links on my Google Profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/benpaddlejones
: 134
« #2 : October 25, 2008, 05:29:48 AM »

I would like to use the Wiimote Whiteboard idea together with paper and pen.

I don't want to spoil the fun in making such a project, but there are already commercial products available that let you do this.
So in case you just want to functionality and don't necessarily want to build it yourself:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_pen

Sample project, using this pen.

Uwe

Java WiimoteWhiteboard for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
« #3 : October 25, 2008, 05:47:18 PM »

... Will be difficult to have both presure sensitive tip and a pen tip.
I agree, this might be difficult, it should be if possible some switch without using an extra button, it could recognize the pen movement or distance to a surface/paper which you would define before.
« #4 : October 25, 2008, 05:55:24 PM »

... there are already commercial products available that let you do this.
I could not find the price for the Anoto pen yet, but similar pens seem to be quite expensive, so for me not worth the investition, also they should work with the IR method as wiimote requires this. The digital pens seem to be totally overpriced, I assume in some years they should cost 5$ maybe?
« #5 : October 26, 2008, 01:48:21 AM »

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_pen
If a person does not need the real-time (presentation) capabilities of a digital pen then you can compare its functionality with a digital camera + removing redundant information from the taken picture. So for "only" later digitizing of my handwritten notes I would not need a digital pen. You have to be a teacher/professor or something like this who needs its features in real-time in front of the learning/listening group.
: [1]

:  

Clicky Web Analytics