Author Topic: IR pen that is also a marker?  (Read 6690 times)

Offline natacus

• View Profile
on: January 21, 2011, 11:39:44 AM
Hi,
I have a whiteboard but no projector. I wanted to use my wii mote to track my normal whiteboard marker and give me a digital copy of what i just wrote. I made a simple attachment for my whiteboard pen but its very crude and not brilliant. Does anyone know of a product that would match my interest? or what i should google for - ive had no luck so far i.e  some sort of attachment that will latch onto a standard whiteboard marker that will allow it to write as a normal pen and emit an IR signal.

Offline camwinget

• View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:33:46 AM
I'm sorry, but there is currently no way to have white board marker ink emit infra red. If it did, it would have to be radio active. Have you tried using it on a TV? That's really cool.

Offline boonjin

• Smoothboard Developer
    • View Profile
    • Smoothboard
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 07:16:21 PM
I'm sorry, but there is currently no way to have white board marker ink emit infra red. If it did, it would have to be radio active. Have you tried using it on a TV? That's really cool.

Hi,

I guess he is looking for an add-on attachment to the whiteboard marker.

As far as I know, there are no such products yet in the market. If you really need one, you can just attach a thin whiteboard marker to an IR pen with a pressure sensitive tip.

Regards,
Boon Jin

Smoothboard
Wii Whiteboard/Wiimote Whiteboard with annotation features and collaborate with multiple iPads and Android Tablets!

Smoothboard for Mac
Using a Mac? Now you can annotate on PowerPoint or Keynote slideshows!

BoonJin[/url

Offline denerson

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:21:04 AM
We actually have a few of things that are kind of like that at our school that are produced for the Mimio Xi system.  The part number is: Mimio Capture Kit 580-0014".  I haven't tried them specifically with a Wiimote yet but they look like they're just a marker sheath with three side facing IR LEDs.  Since it can tell the Mimio Xi system what color cap the sheath has I'm guessing it's a little more complicated from a signaling perspective but it might work with the Wii remotes.  The product appears to be discontinued but is still readily available online.  I'll have a chance to test these out with Smoothboard sometime in the next few months so I'll report back as to if they work or not.